Being active makes a person healthy and strong. It is not just for people who have a weight problem, but for those interested in living the most healthful and fulfilling life.
People workout for three reasons:
- Being overweight. The only way to lose those extra pounds will be to reduce your calorie intake and exercise.
- Being underweight. The only way to add weight is to add more calories in your diet and exercise.
- Just for fun.
Below are some benefits of exercising:
- It is the easiest way to maintain and improve your health from a variety of diseases and premature death.
- Studies have shown that it makes a person feel happier and increases self esteem preventing you from falling into depression or anxiety.
- An active lifestyle means a longer healthier life.
There is a lot you can do such as jog or walk every morning, play basketball or any other sport with friends but if you want to have muscles and look lean, think about signing up at your local gym.
The best exercise plan should have cardiovascular and weight training exercises. This helps burn calories and increases the muscle to fat ratio that will increase your metabolism and help you to lose weight. If you have never worked out before be sure to work in your exercise gradually. Endurance will not be built in a day but doing it repeatedly will ensure you workout safely and allow you to accomplish your goals without injury. And, just like taking any medication, you should first consult your doctor before undergoing any form of exercise.
It is also advisable to workout regularly with a reasonable diet. It starts by evaluating your lifestyle and health before any program can be made. Consult with a dietitian or a health professional to help plan a good diet program that works for you.
A good diet should have food from all food groups. Two things make this up. The first is carbohydrates. The food that you consume should have vitamins, minerals and fiber. A lot of carbs come from oats, rice, potatoes and cereals. The best carbs come from vegetables and fruits since these have phytochemicals, enzymes and micronutrients that are essential for a healthy diet.
The second is fat, which can come from mono, and poly saturated food sources rather than animal fats. Since fat contains more than double the number of calories in food, this should be taken in small quantities.